Friday 30 January 2015

Expectations

I firmly believe that students will generally do what is expected of them. That is, if I have high expectations, they will generally rise to meet them. This year I really wanted to focus on my students having high expectations of themselves.

I have a very small group of 17 year seven students this year, which is lovely. Yesterday, as they walked into our learning space wide eyed and more than a little anxious, I started a conversation that I hope will set the tone for the coming year.

I constructed a Y chart entitled "our expectations", with each section label 'of ourselves', 'of each other' and 'of Mrs G...'.

Their responses were exactly what I would have written had I been filling in the chart myself, and I think their expectations of me are spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment