Monday 26 September 2011

Something I love doing

This is part three of Steve Hargadon's Teacher 2.0: Using the Web for Your Personal and Professional Growth.

"...Write down something(s) you love doing or something(s) you love learning about."


Perfect timing for me today, as I have just returned from doing something I love doing, that I haven't had the opportunity to do for a long time: Photography.

Among the many hats I put on, I am a photographer. I run a small wedding & portrait photography business called Natasha Glaister Photography. This year my photography has been a little neglected, as between full time teaching, part time M.Ed, running a house, and seeing my husband occasionally, there hasn't been a great deal of spare time. It is my one passion that is 'for me', and something I truly enjoy, particularly when the creative energy is flowing!


I love all aspects of photography, being able to see the light, visualise how I can capture it, then succeed in doing so is a wonderfully rewarding process. If I can then capture something that other people enjoy, that is a bonus! 


My students loved discovering my passion for photography, and I have just started running an "E-Lective" for those that are interested in exploring their own interest in photography. I have never taught a "creative" subject prior to this year (and now I'm teaching music as well!), and I am really enjoying the different approaches.





I love getting to know each of my student's passions every year, and next term I have invited them to explore an area that they are passionate about in extensive detail, with the completion of "Passion Projects". The idea is that they will explore something that they are passionate about, and will be paired up with an industry expert, a 'mentor', in their field of interest. It's very open ended, and I am excited to see what they come up with!


*** All photos in today's post are my own, captured this afternoon at the Tesselaar Tulip Festival in Silvan.


No comments:

Post a Comment